Dual-Port cannot be assigned in vSphere (ESXi 5.0) - IBM System X, BladeCenter, Flex System
RETAIN tip: H205893
Only the first port of a Dual-Port adapter will appear as configurable in a vSwitch from the VMware vSphere client.
The system is configured with at least one of the following:
- VMware ESXi 5.0, any update
- VMware ESXi 5.1, any update
The system is configured with one or more of the following IBM Options:
- Flex System EN4132 Dual-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Option part number 90Y3466, replacement part number (CRU) 90Y3469
- Flex System EN6131 40 Gb Ethernet Switch, any n/a
- Mellanox Dual-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Expansion Card (CFFh) - IBM BladeCenter, Option part number 90Y3570, replacement part number (CRU) 90Y3573
- Mellanox ConnectX-2 Dual-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for IBM System x, Option part number 81Y9990, replacement part number (CRU) 81Y9993
- Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for IBM System x, Option part number 00D9690, any replacement part number (CRU)
This tip is not system specific.
Note: This does not imply that the network operating system will work under all combinations of hardware and software.
Please see the compatibility page for more information:
This behavior is a permanent limitation of the Mellanox ESXi 5 driver.
Add a pseudo device as an uplink to an existing vSwitch by following these steps:
- Log into the VMware ESXi machine as root.
- Issue the following command to check for the available vmnic interfaces:
- Issue the following command to add the device as an uplink to an existing vSwitch:
| || |
esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add -u [vmnic_name] -v [vSwitch_name]
Applicable countries and regions
Back to top
Document id: MIGR-5090615
Last modified: 2013-10-08
Copyright © 2014 IBM Corporation