RETAIN tip: H207140
An update may fail when IBM Director attempts to perform a firmware update on VMware ESXi.
The system is configured with at least one of the following:
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.0 with IBM Customization Installable Base Install, Update 1
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 with IBM Customization Installable, any Update
This tip is not system specific.
This tip is not option specific.
Note: This does not imply that the network operating system will work under all combinations of hardware and software.
Please see the compatibility page for more information: http://www.ibm.com/systems/info/x86servers/serverproven/compat/us/
When the failure is encountered, one of the following two options should be performed:
- Apply the VMware vSphere ESXi 5.0 with IBM Customization Patch 4 from IBM FixCentral using VMware Update Manager by following the instructions in the document "Reconfiguring VMware vSphere Update Manager" at this URL:
- After the system has been rebooted allow the IBM CIM providers to complete the initialization and loading process before continuing. This process can take up to 20 minutes. This will be fixed in a patch release in 1H2013.
Update using the CLI:
- Download the latest patch and unzip the contents. This will include the patch, source, and licenses.
- Copy the .zip file from the expanded contents to any folder on ESXi, for example, '/tmp/.'
- Run command esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/XXXXX.zip
Note: The path must be full path.
- Check the running result, the installation should be successful.
- Reboot the system.
- Check the version of 'concretejob,' 'filetrans,' 'immpassthru,' and 'fwupdate.' They should be updated to version 500-2ACE16AUS.
- If the affected machine is an IBM PureFlex, the IMM version must be later than 27L, but non-PureFlex versions must be later than 27M.
- After the system has been rebooted, allow the IBM CIM providers to complete the initialization and loading process before continuing. This process can take up to 20 minutes. This will be fixed in a patch release in 1H2013.
IBM Director then can be used to perform firmware updates.
VMwware periodically deletes the folder under the '/tmp' directory that houses the firmware updates that IBM Director deploys to the ESXi system to update.