IBM System x Upwards Integration Modules (UIMs) for VMware vSphere
IBM System x Upward Integration Modules (UIMs) for VMware vSphere, v3.5.1
IBM System x Upward Integration Modules (UIMs) for VMware vSphere provides IT administrators with the ability to integrate the management features of the System x, BladeCenter, and Flex systems with VMware vCenter. IBM expands the virtualization management capabilities of VMware vCenter with IBM hardware management functionality, providing affordable, basic management of physical and virtual environments to reduce the time and effort required for routine system administration. It provides the discovery, configuration, monitoring, event management, and power monitoring needed to reduce cost and complexity through server consolidation and simplified management.
VMware vCenter combined with the management features of IBM System x, BladeCenter, and Flex systems enhance and extend VMware's virtualization technologies, and hardware service management to help you dramatically reduce complexity and cost.
Key features include:
IBM System x Upward Integration Modules (UIMs) for VMware vSphere provides a 90-day trial license by default for the following features:
- Overview of the host or cluster status including information summary and health messages of the managed entities
- Collects and analyzes system information to help diagnose system problems.
- Acquires and applies the latest UpdateXpress System Packs and individual firmware updates to your ESXi system.Provides non-disruptive system updates which automates the update process of the hosts in a cluster environment without any workload interruption.
- Monitoring and providing a summary of power usage, thermal history, and fan speed and a trend chart of the managed host. Enable or disabled the Power Metric function on a host and set the power capping for a power-capping capable host to limit the server power usage. Support power throttling and provide notification if the server power usage exceeds the specific value.
- Manage the current system settings on the host including IMM, uEFI, and boot order settings for the host.
- Monitoring the server hardware status and automatically evacuating virtual machines in response to predictive failure alerts to protect your workloads.
When the license expires after 90 days, all of the premium features are disabled. It is suggested that you install the IBM Upward Integration Module (UIMs) for Vmware vSphere license tool to activate the product license. Activation licenses can be purchased by contacting your IBM® representative or an IBM Business Partner.
- IBM BladeCenter HS22 (7870, 7809, 1911, 1936)
- IBM BladeCenter HS22V (7871, 1949)
- IBM BladeCenter HS23 (7875, 1882, 1929)
- IBM BladeCenter HS23E (8038, 8039)
- IBM BladeCenter HX5 (7872, 7873, 1909, 1910)
- IBM Flex System x220 Compute Node (7906, 2585)
- IBM Flex System x222 Compute Node (7916)
- IBM Flex System x240 Compute Node (8737, 8738, 7863)
- IBM Flex System x280 X6 Compute Node (4259, 7903)
- IBM Flex System x440 Compute Node (7917)
- IBM Flex System x480 X6 Compute Node (4259, 7903)
- IBM Flex System x880 Compute Node X6 (4259, 7903)
- IBM System x dx360 M2 (7321, 7323)
- IBM System x dx360 M3 (6391)
- IBM System x dx360 M4 (7912, 7913, 7918, 7919)
- IBM System x nx360 M4 (5455)
- IBM System x Smart Analytics System (7949)
- IBM System x3100 M4 (2582)
- IBM System x3100 M5 (5457)
- IBM System x3200 M2 (4367, 4368)
- IBM System x3200 M3 (7327, 7328)
- IBM System x3250 M2 (7657, 4190, 4191, 4194)
- IBM System x3250 M3 (4251,4252,4261)
- IBM System x3250 M4 (2583)*
- IBM System x3250 M5 (5458)
- IBM System x3300 M4 (7382)
- IBM System x3400 M2 (7836, 7837)
- IBM System x3400 M3 (7378, 7379)
- IBM System x3500 M2 (7839)
- IBM System x3500 M3 (7380)
- IBM System x3500 M4 (7383)
- IBM System x3530 M4 (7160)
- IBM System x3550 M2 (7946, 4198)
- IBM System x3550 M3 (7944, 4254)
- IBM System x3550 M4 (7914)
- IBM System x3620 M3 (7376)
- IBM System x3630 M3 (7377)
- IBM System x3630 M4 (7158, 7518, 7519)
- IBM System x3650 M2 (7947, 4199)
- IBM System x3650 M3 (7944, 7945, 4254, 4255, 5454)
- IBM System x3650 M4 (7915)
- IBM System x3650 M4 HD (5460)
- IBM System x3650 M4 BD (5466)
- IBM System x3750 M4 (8722, 8733)
- IBM System x3755 M4 (7164)
- IBM System x3690 X5 (7148, 7149, 7147, 7192)
- IBM System x3850 X5 (7145, 7146, 7143, 7191)
- IBM System x3850 X6 (3837, 3839)
- IBM System x3950 X5 (7145, 7143)
- IBM System x3950 X6 (3837, 3839)
Note: * x3250 M4 2583 supports only partial functions in the Dashboard and Dynamic System Analysis; update, power, and system configuration functions are not supported.
Supported VMware vCenter Versions:
- VMware vCenter Server 4.1 (U1, U2, U3)
- VMware vCenter Server 5.0 (U1, U2)
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 (U1)
- Vmware vCenter Server 5.5
|Version: || ||3.5.1 |
|Release Date: || ||2014-07-10 |
- The plug-in supports IBM customized ESXi 4.1 (U1, U2, U3), 5.0 (U1, U2), 5.1(U1) and 5.5 images. You can download IBM customized ESXi from IBM x86 solutions for VMware: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/.
- For generic VMware ESXi, you need to download and install IBM Customization for ESXi offline bundles on Fix Central to enable all management functions. Without the offline bundles being installed, IBM Upward Integration Module (UIM) for VMware VSphere provides limited management functionality. It is recommended that you update to the latest patch version on a managed esxi host at your earliest convenience. You can find VMware vSphere ESXi with IBM Customization Patch on Fix Central.
The plug-in supports the same operating systems as VMware vCenter:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2/R2 x64 (Enterprise Edition, DataCenter)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP1/SP2 x64 (Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
Applicable countries and regions
Back to top
Document id: MIGR-VMWARE
Last modified: 2014-07-17
Copyright © 2014 IBM Corporation