Before you call IBM Service
IBM no longer actively maintains this content. It is provided as reference and may not be accurate in light of developments since its publication. It is provided on an "AS IS" basis, with no warranties of any kind.
If you believe you require IBM to perform warranty service on your IBM product, the IBM Service Technicians will be able to assist you more efficiently if you prepare before you call.
- Have you checked for updated BIOS, firmware, or operating system device drivers for your system? The IBM Warranty terms and conditions state that you, the owner of the IBM product, are responsible for maintaining and updating all software and firmware of the product (unless covered by an additional maintenance contract). Your IBM Service Technician will request that you upgrade your software/firmware if your issue has a documented solution within a software upgrade.
Get the latest downloads for your system:
- Have you added new hardware or installed new software in your environment? IBM ServerProven shows you what hardware and software is supported by System x, BladeCenter, and IntelliStation systems
- Have you checked the IBM on-line troubleshooting documents relevant to your system? Many issues are solved and documented daily by our IBM Service Technicians, and many of those solutions are configuration and software setting related. It is more than likely that you can solve your issue faster by searching the troubleshooting information first and then by calling IBM Service.
- Do you have the following data available and ready to provide to IBM Service? This data will assist IBM in quickly providing a solution to your issue, and ensuring you receive the appropriate level service for which you may have contracted. Many IBM products can collect all your system information and send it to IBM automatically – further reducing the time to provide you a solution. Learn how to send information quickly and automatically
Note: You must have your machine type and serial number before calling.
- Do you have the ability to submit an Electronic Service Request? Submitting an Electronic Service Request will jumpstart the process of determining a solution to your issue by getting all the pertinent information in the hands of IBM Service quickly and efficiently. IBM Service Technicians can start working on your solution as soon as you have completed and submitted an Electronic Service Request.
If you require further assistance, you can access the worldwide contact list to determine your local support information.
Applicable countries and regions
Back to top
Document id: SERV-CALL
Last modified: 2011-07-19
Copyright © 2013 IBM Corporation