RETAIN tip: H207630
IBM BladeCenter PS70x or BladeCenter JS12/JS22/JS23/JS43 blades can fail to power up in a BladeCenter H chassis with BladeCenter H midplane Field Replaceable Unit (replacement part number) 46C9700 is installed.
The system can be any of the following IBM servers:
- BladeCenter H, type 7989, any model
- BladeCenter H, type 8852, any model
- BladeCenter JS12, type 7998, any model
- BladeCenter JS22, type 7998, any model
- BladeCenter JS23, type 7778, any model
- BladeCenter JS43, type 7778, any model
- BladeCenter PS700 Express, type 8406, any model
- BladeCenter PS701 Express, type 8406, any model
- BladeCenter PS702 Express, type 8406, any model
- BladeCenter PS703 Express, type 7891, any model
- BladeCenter PS704 Express, type 7891, any model
This tip is not software specific.
This tip is not option specific.
Update firmware on IBM BladeCenter PS70x blades to level aa730.099.035. Update firmware to level ea350.136.074 for IBM BladeCenter JS12/JS22/JS23/JS43 blades.
If another chassis with a midplane replacement part number other than 46C9700 is available, users will need to update the firmware within that chassis to perform the firmware update.
If replacing an IBM BladeCenter midplane, ensure that the blade system firmware is updated prior to replacement actions.
The file is available by selecting the appropriate Product Group, type of System, Product name, Product machine type, and Operating system on IBM Support's Fix Central web page, at the following URL:
The option 46C9700 midplane replacement part number has new Vital Product Data (VPD) that is not recognized by older blade firmware. Due to this problem, the system will not power on because the firmware is not recognizing the system to which it is installed.